Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)Who is it for?CAPI is a 100 percent state-funded pro

Who is it for?

CAPI is a 100 percent state-funded program designed to provide monthly cash benefits to aged, blind, and disabled non-citizens who are ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to their immigrant status. The welfare reform act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193) eliminated Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) eligibility for most non-citizens. As a result, most immigrants who were not receiving SSI/SSP in August 1996 are no longer eligible for SSI/SSP. In order to Qualify you must:

  1. Meet all other SSI/SSP eligibility criteria except for immigration status

  2. Be aged, blind, or disabled,

  3. Be a resident of California,

  4. Have resources below the allowable limits of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple, and

  • Have income less than the CAPI standards

  • Be a non-citizen and meet the immigration status criteria in effect for SSI/SSP as of 8/21/96.

  • Be ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to immigration status. This means a CAPI applicant must apply or SSI/SSP, or submit other proof of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration.

CAPI payment amounts vary depending on a person's marital status, living arrangements and other income. CAPI payment standards are $10 less than SSI/SSP payment standards ($20 for a couple).

How to Apply:

To apply in person or to find out more about CAPI benefits in your county, please contact your county social services agency.

CAPI recipients may be eligible for CalFresh benefits, Medi-Cal, Special Circumstances, and IHSS, but they must file for each benefit separately. There is no automatic eligibility link between CAPI and these other programs.

State regulations governing CAPI can be found in Manual of Policies and Procedures, Division 49.

Quick Links

Information and Resources For more information and resources visit the Cash Assistance

Program for Immigrants website. This resource is designed to assist county eligibility workers and other partners who provide services to the public.

If you are a member of the public we encourage you to apply online at or contact your county social services agency

3 views0 comments